Built of brick, stone, packed earth, and cedar timbers by the French in 1723 to guard against British or Spanish attack, Fort Condé protected Mobile and its citizens for almost 100 years and under three different names!
From 1723 to 1763, the fortifications were under French rule as Fort Condé. From 1763 to 1780, England was in possession of the region, and renamed the structure Fort Charlotte. From 1780 to 1813 the battlements were known as Fort Carlota while Spain had the upper hand.
Come 1813, Mobile was occupied by US troops, and the English name for the fort – Fort Charlotte – was once again applied. Seven years later, it was determined the fort was no longer needed and, by 1823, almost all visible traces of the fort were under Mobile’s newly expanded streets: gone.
Read the rest of this page »