There’s an awful lot of history in Mobile, AL. Forts, gardens, parks, monuments and, historic houses tell the tale of the city and region.
Of them all, the Condé-Charlotte House Museum is billed as “the gateway to Mobile’s history,” and with good reason. The building, constructed in 1822 between the southern bastions of Fort Condé, was Mobile’s first courthouse and city jail.
The building, still sometimes referred to as The Kirkbride House, was purchased in 1849 by Jonathan Kirkbride. Kirkbride added what is now known as the main house, converting the courthouse and jail section into a kitchen. Evidence of the old jail cells, with their two-foot thick brick floor, can still be seen in the kitchen wing.
The Historic Mobile Preservation Society purchased the site in 1940 for restoration. Their hard work provided the historic house museum we see today, highlighting Mobile’s history under five flags: French, English, Spanish, Confederate and American.
Read the rest of this page »